[Mailman-Developers] Anyone else seeing this?

Corbett J. Klempay cklempay@acm.jhu.edu
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 12:50:23 -0400 (EDT)

Ok, this is really 2 messages chained together...it seems John is soon to
be a dad (or maybe a dad again, not sure actually :), so he's a little
busy :)  Any assistance is _greatly_ appreciated...the other ACM guys kept
whining because the list is down, so I just set up a temp alias to quiet
them until I get this sorted out :)

---

Is it supposed to be the case where you have to be root to create a new
list? I thought that in my 1.0b4 install, I had created new lists as
cklempay...but if I do it as anything other than root now (with b5), I get
this:

[mailman@chimera bin]$ newlist test
Enter the email of the person running the list: cklempay@acm.jhu.edu
Enter the initial list password: snoop
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/home/mailman/bin/newlist", line 133, in ?
    raise SystemExit(main(sys.argv))
  File "/home/mailman/bin/newlist", line 83, in main
    newlist.Create(list_name, owner_mail, pw)
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 518, in Create
    Utils.MakeDirTree(os.path.join(mm_cfg.LIST_DATA_DIR, name))
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 276, in MakeDirTree
    os.mkdir(made_part, perms)
os.error: (13, 'Permission denied')
[mailman@chimera bin]$

I don't know if this is the way it is supposed to be and maybe I had it
working before only because maybe I had messed up some permissions...

I had been having a LOT of problems getting it to let me access any of the
pages (all of the logs turned up 'Premature end of script headers' or in
some configurations I'd get a Internal Server Error).  In my current
state, I can view www2.acm.jhu.edu/mailman/listinfo

but if I su to root and do a newlist to create a test list, I get this if
I try to access www2.acm.jhu.edu/mailman/admin/test  :

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of
this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of
what happened. Thanks!

Traceback:

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

Mailman experienced a very low level failure and could not even generate
a useful traceback.  Please report this to the Mailman administrator at
this site.

I'm not sure, but I thought I remembered someone mentioning something like
this earlier today too.

One other quick (and sort of unrelated question)...I just recursively
zipped up my /home/mailman/lists subtree before killing b4...since my
aliases are still in place (didn't touch those), can I just extract them
to their original places and have it work?  Or does Mailman keep other
administrative data about that it won't have for these lists if I create
them that way?

---next msg----