[Mailman-Developers] Anyone else seeing this?

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US (Barry A. Warsaw)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:59:40 -0400 (EDT)

Corbett,

I suspect all your problems are related to permission or ownership
problems.  You installed 1.0b5 on top of an earlier installation
didn't you?  Earlier versions weren't quite as strict on
perm/ownership (esp. group ownership) as 1.0b5 -- but they had
other problems.  BTW, you followed the README note about moving your
list template files right?

Please look at your installed directory (e.g. $prefix).  You want to
make sure all the files are group owned by the `mailman' group, and
that all directories and files are writeable by group.  Further, be
sure that all directories have the group sticky bit set (so new files
will inherit the right group owner).

You want to in particular, make sure lists/yourlist/config.db is group
writeable, etc.

If all that looks okay, but still doesn't work, then I might suggest
trying to re-install Mailman 1.0b5 into a fresh location.  Re-run
configure with a different --prefix.  Once you've done the new
install, try creating a test list under the new location (you might
need to set up your Web server to include a second ScriptAlias).  If
this test list works, then you should be able to copy your existing
list subdirs to the new location (again, watching very carefully group
write permission and ownership).  Now your old lists should work from
your new URLs.

-Barry