[Mailman-Developers] News->Mail gateways

Michael McLay mclay@nist.gov
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:01:17 -0400 (EDT)

I've downloaded the distribution and tried running configure.  Here's
the error messages.

bash$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for --with-python...
checking for python... /usr/local/bin/python
checking Python interpreter... /usr/local/bin/python
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... /usr/bin/cc
checking whether the C compiler (/usr/bin/cc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (/usr/bin/cc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... no
checking whether #! works in shell scripts... yes
checking for --with-mail-gid... other mail daemon
checking for mail_wrapper GID... ./configure: python: not found
cat: conftest.out: No such file or directory
configure: error:

***** Group other mail daemon not found!  You must first
***** set up the other mail daemon entry in /etc/group
***** or set the MAIL_GID shell variable on the
***** configure command line

I don't understand this comment.

My system administrator has set up the directory structure as follows:

bash$ cd /home/
bash$ ls -ldg mailman
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root     wheel          13 Jun  3 18:51 mailman -> /bolt/mailman
bash$

The web server is running on bolt so the /bold/mailman directory is
visible on that system.  The mail server runs on sparky and sparky
uses some Solaris automouter magic to make /home/mailman appear as
a directory, but /bolt/mailman doesn't appear.

I'll ask if I can get the /home/mailman directory to be changed to
ownership by mailman and put in group mailman.  For now it is owned by
root and in group wheel.