[Mailman-Developers] Lock patches?

Steve Spicklemire steve@estel.uindy.edu
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 05:51:50 -0500 (EST)

Hi There,

I'm using mailman on NeXTStep. One of the problems I ran into
was the non-functionality of lock file support on NeXTStep. Soooo....
I cooked up a (more or less) satisfactory replacement. Would anyone
else on the list be interested in the canges? Basically I create a
normal file as the 'lock'. I create it with flags that require mailman
to have exclusive write access to it.  If another mailman process is
already using the file, the create fails. There is an optional
'timeout' period, so that a hung/dead process won't cut out all other
mailman processes. Are there other platforms where file locking is a
problem?

-steve