[Mailman-Developers] Re: [JPython] rexec module, string escapes and file ASCII<->Unicode

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US (Barry A. Warsaw)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 18:05:26 -0400 (EDT)

    JH> Everybody on this list should know that the mailman software -
    JH> which handles the jpython-interest mailing list - is
    JH> reasonably agressive in suspending mail to any addresses that
    JH> produce excessive bounce messages.  This feature makes the
    JH> life of the list administrator much more pleasant, but can
    JH> occasionally lead to people having their mail suspended who
    JH> still want to be on the list.

I've been thinking about bounce policy.  I wonder if what Mailman
should do is have the same policy for all bounces, regardless of
whether it looks permanent (user unknown) or not.  Once the bounce
threshold is reached and the account is disabled, a cron job could be
used to retry the address for some number of days.  If the account
becomes live again, it can be re-enabled.  Or perhaps the user has to
explicitly re-enable it when they finally see these warning messages.

-Barry