[Mailman-Developers] mass subscribe bug

John Viega viega@list.org
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 15:38:13 -0700

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 05:22:25PM -0400, Scott wrote:
> I saw this error once in another context (still with mailman and
> cookies, but with the "private" cgi).

Hmm, I've heard of this error from two different people now, and one
of them mentioned it was transient.  Sometimes it happened...  I don't
think it invvolved IE on a mac.

> cookie, or there is something about the way that the base64 module
> encodes and decodes that won't work with http.  Since I've only seen
> the error on what i consider a questionable browser i suspect that
> it's the browser's fault.

Why are you using base64 encoding, anyway?  If it's a "privacy"
matter, anyone who reads your cookie can forge the same cookie, no?
If so, might as well just use plaintext if it's going to be an
eisenbug this way.

If anyone can reproduce this bug reliably, please let me know, I'd
like to work with you to figure out what exactly the problem is.

John