[Mailman-Developers] Idea

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@cnri.reston.va.us
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 11:00:31 -0400 (EDT)

Corbett J. Klempay writes:
>- What kind of structure does Pipermail store the archive in?  Maybe I
>should contact someone (maybe whoever runs the lists at python.org?) who
>runs a larger Pipermail archive and see about getting an archive of a
>treefull of archived articles

	Messages are just HTML files, but there are on-disk B-trees
(using the bsddb module) used for the indexes.  It should not be very
difficult to use Aaron's Bplustree.py module instead; the only problem
is me finding time to do it.

	Hypermail development has picked up again, so I've been
speculating about writing a Python interface to Hypermail's indexing
infrastructure.  That would let Python code control policies (where a
message goes, how it's formatted, ...) but leave the data handling to
C code.  No time to look into that, unfortunately.

--
A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
In its broadest ecological context, economic development is the development of