[Mailman-Developers] MM 1.0b4 port 25 connection conflicts w/anti-spam non relay measures

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:56:48 -0400 (EDT)

In trying out 1.0b4 on python.org i discovered a logistical conflict
with the sendmail 8 anti-spam non-relaying mechanism - it *may* be due
to a fault in my implementation of it, but i thought it's worth giving
people a heads up.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a measure that tells
sendmail to restrict the set of hosts from and to which it will accept
mail relays.  See http://www.sendmail.org/antispam.html for more
info.  It's something that public sites that handle mail should in
good consience do - it reduces spammer's options for concealing their
message origins.

My problem was that mail delivered via mailman on my site to sites not
explicitly specified as acceptable recipients (in the /etc/RelayTo
file, i think) were being rejected.  I would have thought that the
mail appeared to originate at python.org, which is in the RelayTo and
LocalIP files, and so would be accepted, but no go - and i don't see a
way to wildcard the RelayTo to enable any recipients.

I would not be surprised if i'm missing a fairly easy way to configure
the setup to accept these messages, but i'm not sure, and don't have
the time right now to investigate (i was supposed to go out of town,
for the weekend, earlier today.)  I disabled the anti-relay mechanism
for the moment, but wanted to ask if anyone out there has experience
with this, and suggestions for making the direct port 25 connection
work without disabling the anti-relay measures.

Ken