[Mailman-Developers] Easing the burden of upgrades

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:52:54 -0400 (EDT)

I think barry's description conveys what we discussed real well.  The
only addition i'd make is a slightly different command arrangement.

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> automatically switched though.  The site admin can switch the parity
> of individual lists.  Let's say there's a command called `upgrade'.
> So
>     upgrade toylist
> [...]
>     upgrade reallist1
> [...]
> lists and now has a lot of confidence in the new version.  He then
> does
>     upgrade * [upgrade all the lists]
>     commit-parity [make the future version the current]
>     downgrade reallistx
>     downgrade *

I'd prefer to have a single command that could do everything - i'm
thinking 'migrate', which defaults to migrating forward (upgrading).
Eg:

  migrate toylist
  migrate -forward mailman-developers	[[the "-forward" is unnecessary]]
  migrate -all				[[migrate everything forward]]
  migrate -back -all			[[back off!]]
  migrate -commit			[[make the new version current]]

(Since the command is in mailman's bindir, i guess it could be a general
name - but if there's concern, we could distinguish it with mailman's
initials - 'mmmigrate' - to convey the mmm mmm delicious experience of
changing a production system...-)