[Mailman-developers] Next Release

Robin Friedrich friedrich@pythonpros.com
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 08:53:00 -0600

Ken Manheimer wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, W T Hewitt wrote:
>
> > 4) Use HTMLgen for creating HTML
>
> Robin has looked at this a bit.  I'll be interested in his response -
> but what in particular is to be gained by using HTMLgen instead of the
> home brewed stuff?  It may be basic, but i'd think it'd be best to keep
> the html layout simple, at least until we have the rest of the system
> nicely polished, and can spend the attention on fancier layouts...

I agree.  There is room for improvement in how HTML is generated in MM, and
I've added things to the next version of HTMLgen in anticipation of it's use
in MM. (i.e. A TemplateDocument class and a cool anti spider feature to the
MailTo object.)  But I worry about importing a module the size of HTMLgen for
every cgi call.  That would just slow MM down that much further until MM is
upgraded to use a persistant process (v2.0?).  idunno, it might add a second.
 I'll be happy to rework the HTML side of MM at that time.

PS. The new Mailto class will now generate random encodings of the address
charcters. This works in the browsers fine, but screw up the email spiders. I
think this would solve the listinfo page mail privacy issue (at least for
now).  For example my address might come out like:
<A HREF="mailto:&#82;obi&#110;.Fr&#105;edr&#105;ch@&#112;dq.&#110;et">Robin.Friedrich@pdq.net</A>