[Mailman-developers] mailman 1.0b3 patch in the ftp dir

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Mon, 4 May 1998 14:50:40 -0400 (EDT)

As promised (though slightly late), i put together a mostly-fixes
patch release, bringing mailman to 1.0b3.  It takes care of some
significant (but not showstopper) bugs that the intermediate patch i
released did not do.  See the README file in the ftp dir:

	ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/contrib/Network/mailman

A couple of notes.

First, i'm sad to say that the patch is with respect to 1.0b2, not
taking into account the intermediate patch i released.  When you apply
it you may have to ignore some "reversed or already applied patch"
prompts, and/or do some reconciliation by hand.  I'm sorry about this
- i am still ironing out my release techniques.  (My lesson in this
case was to *always* add a symbolic tag to the version control logs
when you release a patch.  I didn't do so for the intermediate patch,
and the option of trying to correct the logs retroactively is too
error prone to reliably improve matters.)

This may be the last release we'll do here at python.org, now that
john is nearing having time to devote to mailman maintenance, and in
particular, to reactivation of the mailman web site, www.list.org.
(I've set the default value for MAILMAN_URL in mm_defaults.py to that
value, in anticipation of this event.)

Also, i'm hoping to tone down my time on mailman a bit, to pay better
attention to my proper duties (and proper weekends), and take on just
some specific todos in mailman development itself.  It sounds like we
have the beginnings of a small cadre around the net who have serious
interest in mailman development, and a start at organizing the effort
to avoid overlap and ease integration.  If you have development plans
and want to participate, be sure to send email to john
(viega@list.org) with your list of personal-priority todos, so we can
have a coordinated effort here...

Yay!

ken manheimer, 05/04/1998