[Mailman-Developers] Quandry 2: Alternate hosts and sendmail

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US (Barry A. Warsaw)
Tue, 12 May 1998 13:16:26 -0400 (EDT)

    KM> Note that i said "most cases" - i, as list administrator, have
    KM> gotten a few errant replies from users.  On investigation, it
    KM> turns out that a *few* MUAs, eg /bin/mail on some platform(s)
    KM> or other, do not respect the reply-to header.  Dammit.

    KM> So i guess my question is, is it worth trying a different
    KM> approach that will allow both the reply-to *and* the sender to
    KM> be the -request addr, just to accomodate the few mailers that
    KM> don't respect reply-to?

Brain dead MUAs will always be a fact of life and I doubt you'll ever
eliminate all problems.  Stick with best current practice and try to
at least enumerate those systems that are broken (and suggest their
users fix their systems :-).

-Barry