[Mailman-Developers] Question: Alternate hosts and sendmail

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Tue, 12 May 1998 13:32:54 -0400 (EDT)

[Oy - i managed to put the wrong subject line on the last message.
This one really does concern alternate hosts and sendmail.]

This question really is about sendmail configuration, though it is in
pursuit of a mailman issue.

The general problem is that some people run various maillists that are
effectively in different domains, and they'd like to be able to run
them from a single installation of mailman on a host that occupies all
the domains.  (This probably will be a major concern for ISPs who host
subscriber domains - they probably want to *not* have to run a
separate maillist system for each one!)  In fact, mailman supports
this - at the bottom of the General Options page for any list (in
1.0b3) you'll find settings for the preferred host name and URL that
the list thinks it occupies.  It works fine.  It is my sendmail
configuration that gets in the way, here.

My problem is that my sendmail configuration mangles all outgoing
messages from my host (eg, parrot.python.org) to look like they're
coming from, eg, 'blat@python.org'.  I want this mangling in general,
but would like for it to *not* happen when messages are supposed to be
coming from, eg, "cnri.reston.va.us".  Unfortunately, i haven't
sufficiently mastered sendmail setup to prevent it.  All my poking and
prodding has not prevailed.

Can anyone out there with greater sendmail savvy point me to
particular things to investigate?  (We're running a range of sendmail
8.8.5 and 8.8.7 on various machines - i think the one where this
really will be an issue is at 8.8.7.)

Thanks for any clues!

Ken