[Mailman-Developers] gate_news gone mad

Corbett J. Klempay cklempay@acm.jhu.edu
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 13:33:18 -0500 (EST)

First: thanks to Scott...he spent some time on the machine last night
finding some oddness (I don't know that we're sure yet why it set a bunch
of the symlinks wrong....but it works now, so hey :)

Now: I got an email when I woke up (just recently :) that mailman was
spiking the load like mad.  Sure enough, watching top revealed that it was
spawning ~70 mailman processes every few minutes, which drove the load up
to ~30...the processes would run for <= 5 seconds or so max and be gone.
I thought it must be a cron job issue, and gate_news is the only thing
with an interval anywhere near that small (I didn't watch forever to make
sure it was 5 minutes, but it looked to be in the ballpark).  After
reinstalling that crontab file with gate_news commented it, the spikes
have stopped.  Has anyone else seen weird gate_news behavior before?  We
don't need it here...we don't do any gating.  I'm fairly sure I had it
commented out in the previous (b5) installation, but I'm not positive.

Corbett J. Klempay			         Quote of the Week:
http://www2.acm.jhu.edu/~cklempay  "Conscience is the inner voice that
				    warns up that someone may be looking."

PGP Fingerprint: 7DA2 DB6E 7F5E 8973 A8E7  347B 2429 7728 76C2 BEA1