[Mailman-Developers] BUGS: URL vs file pathnames

Scott scott@chronis.pobox.com
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 15:36:09 -0500

On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 08:36:05PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
| Hello...
|
| There are a number of obsolete files in the distribution. Should be
| torched.
|   Mailman/Archiver.py
|   Mailman/pipermail.py
|   Mailman/HyperArch.py
|   Mailman/HyperDatabase.py

running "make update" from the source should delete these.
they're no longer in the source tree (at this location) either.

| Also, there is a general problem in the code with using os.path.join to
| construct URLs. A URL is NOT a file path. You don't want to use ":" or
| "\" if Mailman is run on a different platform. The os.path.join should
| go away and string concat should be used with "/".
|
| HTMLFormatter.py: lines 96 and 299
| MailList.py: 442
| Cgi/admin.py: 220, 401
| Cgi/archives.py: 72
| Cgi/edithtml.py: 95, 161
| Cgi/listinfo.py: 130
| Archiver/Archiver.py: 118, 122

I'm working on fixing these now.

| Also, line 101 of MailList.py has a hard-coded "/" rather than using
| os.path.join.

ditto. thx.

| Finally: Archiver/Archiver.py:122 should have a trailing "/" on the
| public archive URL. The trailing slash prevents an internal redirection
| in Apache -- this screws me because it switches the hostname from a
| CNAME to the "real" hostname.

What sort of internal redirection?

scott