[Mailman-Developers] (long) queue problems: an analysis

Scott scott@chronis.pobox.com
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:13:21 -0400

i have coded the changes to the queueing mechanism, and checked in the
relevant files  (contact_transport, Mailman/Utils.py, and
Mailman/OutgoingQueue.py) to the cvs tree.

Just wanted to note a couple of things that differ slightly between
what i coded and the plan below:

1) a closer look at the code prompted me to use file metadata to
denote whether a q entry has been deferred because it allowed the
conveniance of continueing to use the tempfile module.  Origonally, i
tried setting the sticky bit on files that are in an active state, and
found that on some OS's in some conditions it wouldn't let certain
users set this, so i decided to use the setuid bit instead.

2) as per Ken's suggestion, the setgid data directory would work in
conjuntion with some chmod'ing of the q entries.  there's no need to
muck with what programs get set{u,g}id to what as far as i can tell.

scott