[Mailman-Developers] confirmations/approval of subscriptions

John Viega John@list.org
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 11:35:47 -0700

On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 02:30:20PM -0400, Scott wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 1998 at 10:59:36AM -0700, John Viega wrote:
>
> OK, then should i go ahead with the site config option for this? and
> have the confirmation step disabled for subscriptions requiring
> admin's approval?

That sounds good, yes.

> | Another consideration is that sometimes the admin has a good reason
> | for mass-subscribing people.  For example, I have a lot of friends in
> | bands, and they collect email addresses at shows for their
> | announcement lists.  Some of them don't even want people to be hassled
> | with a welcome message, because the more mail some people get, the
> | less happy they are about hearing from your band.  So another thing
> | I'd like to keep around is giving the admin the ability to subsribe
> | people, with or without sending the people welcome messages.
>
> I just checked in a change to make admin cgi mass subscriptions repond
> to the send_welcome_msg variable.  that  should address this if i'm
> understnding you correctly.

Hmm, the way I'd prefer to see it is to have a radiobutton above that
box, which defaults to the value of send_welcome_msg.  I can remember
transfering some smaller majordomo lists to mailman where I was using
the web-interface,  where I wanted to avoid bothering old subscribers
with the welcome message,  since they were already on the list, but I
did want it to go out for new subscribers...

John