[Mailman-Developers] why not make archive into coference

Steven Hazel cherub@azrael.dyn.cheapnet.net
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 00:44:01 -0500 (CDT)

   Sorry if this has been asked/suggested before but I can
   find no trace of it in the archives.

It's there -- I proposed to start working on it a few weeks ago.

   The point about doing this with the archives is that this
   functionality is almost there already - it just needs
   a way of "on-server" posting to be developed.  Since this
   could be limited to subscribers and can only go to the list
   then it is safe.

Actually, I administrate a web-based forum, and we have stronger needs
-- user accounts on a per-system basis, for example, are crucial, and
seem to be a popular wish-list item for Mailman already.  (For those
who have been discussing these, my co-conspiritor and I have been
listening.  A simple interface to Mailman accounts will be provided
for easy integration with existing site accounts, and we're working on
allowing logins under email addresses as well as user names.)

I've already got a simple web-based posting CGI script written -- I'm
cleaning up the formatting and error reporting before I submit it.  My
friend has a user account system in place, but integration with the
list subscription info is still too crude to submit.

(BTW, what's the best way for me to submit significant code changes?
Since this is a GNU project, I imagine there are some legal papers to
be exchanged.  Also, do you prefer frequent submissions of
sort-of-working code, or infrequent submissions of clean, working
code?)

If you're interested in helping, let me know.

-S