[Mailman-Developers] small sec problem / or feuture (?)

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm@delta.integral.org
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:08:58 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Bencsath Boldizsar wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Another mailman problem, just for You:
> On one of my lists a strange mail occoured: it came from szecsei virag,
> who has NO email address at budapest.hu
> But the mail, that was distributed by the list contains a header:
> From: Szecsei@sas.fph.hu, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vir=E1g?=
> <fszecsei@mail.matav.hu>
>
> I'm not sure, it might be a problem in sendmail or anything, i thing the
> original address was
> From: Szecsei, Vira'g <fszecsei@mail.matav.hu>
> (but the a' was an eastern european letter)
> And somewhere, somewhat tried to convert it to a "living" address by
> adding the hostname to the first word.

	Ok, I see what's  happening here, but it isn't with Mailman.
The  =?iso...?= stuff is the MIME way of quoting non latin-1 charsets.
Some MTA probly did that, and you email program dosen't support MIME RFC
<whatever it is> encoded headers.

Second, as I see by  your message ID you are using PINE on sas.fph.hu
PINE is what is adding the hostname  to that  first part. It's thinking
'Szecsei' is a local emal address, & tacking the local hostname
(sas.fph.hu) onto it for you.

	Third, that address is technically bogus. Commas are not allowed
in address comments.

	-The Dragon De Monsyne