[Mailman-Developers] Mailman archive and MIME

Balazs Nagy julian7@kva.hu
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:13:23 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Tomas Fasth wrote:

> Hi.

> Are there anyone on this list currently working on a MIME fix for mailman
> pipermail archiving? It currently (1.0b8) lack even the simplest MIME
> support, as far as I understand. If you browse a pipermail archive any

Not just the pipermail archiving lacks any mail support but admindb too.
Just check out any admindb warning.  Can you see any email addresses in <>s?
The most important thing to replace < > and & characters, outside of any
MIME encoded things.

> MIME composed messages appears right out ugly and sometimes unreadable (a
> matter of skill of course).
> There are at least two angles on this. One is that when MIME encoding
> (quoted-printable,base64) has been applied it looks messy in raw format.
> The other is that some mailers (outlook express...) can be configured to
> send multipart/alternative with message in both HTML and plain text
> versions. Looks even more messy in raw format.

Well, if someone sent me (or to my lists) any HTML + embedded crap, I warn
him/her for the first time...

> I know you guys are working hard to get a stable release of 1.0 out on the
> streets. But before that happens I highly recommend to have this
> particular issue addressed somehow. My point is: making a stable release
> of a email/web based software in the year of 1999 without basic support
> for MIME is a big shame. Hopefully, I am plain wrong about the whole
> issue. May be I have missed the obvious.

Agreed.

> Of course, it is my hope that someone already have a solution on the
> problem, or working on one.

I saw something in the core Python and it could be easy to write a MIME
converter but I have to do my state exam next week thus I can't work on the
problem right now.

Regards: Balazs