[Mailman-Developers] An upgrading experience

Janne Sinkkonen janne@avocado.pc.helsinki.fi
23 Jan 1999 12:15:53 +0200

I just upgraded from 1.0b4 to the latest b8 (CVS snapshot). It went
mostly fine. Some problems though:

- Python 1.5 doesn't have smtplib.py. Python 1.5.1 does. The
documentation claims that 1.5 is good enough.

- When I try to edit HTML through the WWW interface, I get an
attribute error about Error.MMBadPassword (or some such).
Is this a bug, or are my mailing list objects too old?

- in update.log mailman says templates seem like pre-b4.
Do I need to upgrade them manually, or does it just meant the
templates were in wrong directories?

- I had some archives, but after running 'make update' a few times,
they are gone. Instead I have symlinks (list, list.mbox - yes both are
symlinks) in the archives directory pointing to
public_html/archives/*. But public_html/archives does not
exist.

Further, apparently new messages do not get archived now, at least I
can't find them anywhere. Should the mailboxes reside in the
$prefix/archives directory?

Just out of curiosity, I tried to run the $prefix/cron/archive script
manually (writing "python archive 1"). The current crontab does not
seem to call it. It complains:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "archive", line 55, in ?
    if level <= list.archive_update_frequency:
AttributeError: archive_update_frequency

Does just loading and saving all the mailing lists help, or should I
set archive_update_frequency manually?

--
Janne