[Mailman-Developers] commercial maillist system, lyris, looks rather similar

Ken Manheimer ken@digicool.com
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:59:12 -0500 (EST)

I just heard mention of a commercial mailling list manager, lyris, that
upon a tiny bit of investigation looks similar in some ways to mailman -
eg, the admin interface layout:

(listinfo?), the orientation on web interfaces, "automatic error handling"
(bounce handling), built-in archives, built-in mail engine (for "blinding
speed"), etc. From poking around a little, it looks like they use perl at
least as an extension language - i wonder how it's built.

I'm pretty curious how long it's been around - they claim that:

	"Lyris was the first email list server to offer a web interface
	for list administrators and members."

so i wonder if it predates the mailman betas.  (I also noticed the phrase

	No more "get me off this list!" messages.

on the lyris "about" page (http://www.lyris.com/about.html), , framed as
"failsafe unsubscribing" - i think i saw this phrase in a recent
mailman-users posting, i would not be surprised if the poster saw it
there...)

It has some nice stuff that mailman doesn't - one interesting idea seems
to be to use a news server for the archives.  That way, archive browsers
can use a news interface, or use a web browser to a news/web gateway.
(They probably do not do exactly this - the mail interface is a separate
product, "multi view", so i'm probably missing something...)

Wish i had more time to investigate, if anyone does, please report back...

Ken Manheimer
klm@digicool.com