[Mailman-Developers] Mailman archive and MIME

Tomas Fasth tomas@euronetics.se
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:38:50 +0100

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> I'd love it if Pipermail could handle MIME, but I gather that Andrew
> isn't very interested in working on Pipermail anymore.  Unfortunately
> I probably do not have the time to hack on this either.  But if
> someone else wants to contribute some patches, I'd be very happy to
> install them.  It would be a Good Thing if the bundled archiver could
> handle this.

We are about to drop pipermail for now at our site (situated in Sweden).
We will use either MHonArc or news gating or both. That will satisfy our
need of accessing archives with correct handling of national characters
as well as attachments.

> An alternative is to make sure that Mailman can work with external
> archivers like MHonArc.  This might be an easier way to go, leverages
> off of someone else's maintained code, and since MHonArc is GPL'd we
> could use it with no problems.  Still, I doubt we'll ever bundle such
> archivers with Mailman.

Having an archiver written in Perl bundled with an otherwise superb
software (mainly) written in Python seem kind of weird to me. Anyway,
Pipermail will surely do for the MIME-allergic community for the time
being.

	Tomas