[Mailman-Developers] mailman & unsubs

David Ascher da@ski.org
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:42:08 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

I subscribe to lots of mailman lists.

Sometimes, mailman disables my email address.  I have no doubt that it's
for a good reason. However, that reason is for a certain group of users
fairly temporary (down server).  As it stands, I periodically find out
that I've been disabled on fairly quiet lists that I don't expect to read
every day.  It'd be nice if mailman could 'ping' the email address
periodically (once a week?) to find out if the problem is resolved.
Something progressively more expensive like

  if ping_ok and SMTP_VRFY_ok and first_email_goes_in_queue_goes_through:
    undisable_email()

would do the job in 96% of the cases w/ low overhead, I suspect.

--david