[Mailman-Developers] Various

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
21 Jul 1999 08:03:28 +0200

[Per Starback]

> * Privacy Options
> I don't like the combined meanings of the fields A = "Restrict posting
> privilege to list members?" and B = "Addresses of members accepted for
> posting to this list without implicit approval requirement".
[...]
> Perhaps it would be better if A had three possible values:
> Noone, Members only, Anyone. And then B always is a list of
> *additional* addresses besides what option A states?

Yup, I agree that a three-state switch might be more intuitive -- but
I'm hoping we'll find some even more general "posting access control"
configuration setting -- i.e. one might want to restrict postings to
members and addresses in the example.com domain, or everyone but
addresses in badboys.net, or even only addresses with a localpart
matching "\w+\.\w+".

Either way, I don't see this changing before 1.0.

> * Digest-member options
>
> "Header added to every digest" is empty as the default value.
> I would prefer if the whole
>
> 	 Send xxx maillist submissions to [...]
> 	 When replying, please [...]
> 	 "Re: Contents of xxx digest...")
>
> blurb was there instead, so all of that could be edited.

Noted.

> * List-specific programs
>
> Something I'm missing from Smartlist which I have been using since
> before is the possibility there of adjusting everything for a
> particular list by making a special version of the list programs for
> that list. In this way it would great if I could just put a changed
> Digester.pyc (for example) in the directory for a particular list to
> have that list use that one instead of the default one.
>
> This wouldn't be needed for most lists, or course, but still such a
> minor(?) change would make it *possible* to do almost anything,
> including stuff that there probably will be support for in the future
> but that someone could need to fix "by hand" for one particular list
> right now, and specialized stuff for which there never will be
> generalized support.

I don't think this would be a smart move -- it could potentially cause
_serious_ troubles when the list-specific files (e.g. old, installed
by some previous site-admin which is now long gone) assumes interfaces
that the Mailman distribution (which we'd like people to be able to
upgrade from time to time without too much trouble) are trying to move
away from.
--
Harald