[Mailman-Developers] Monthly reminder sent by mailman-owner considered harmful

Bart Schaefer schaefer@zanshin.com
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:50:25 -0700 (PDT)

On 4 Jun 1999, Harald Meland wrote:

> [Bart Schaefer]
>
> > Consider the possibility that I, unaware that this is going to take
> > place, subscribe an address that represents a local exploder.  At
> > some later time everyone on that local list is going to be given my
> > password
>
> If you're adding other people's addresses, then how would they be able
> to unsubscribe later

Because my "local exploder" is a news gateway and they simply use their
newsreader to subscribe/unsubscribe the newsgroup.  Or because my exploder
is another mailing list manager so they can subscribe/unsubscribe from the
local list.  Neither of these is an uncommon situation.