[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Possible Fix for password lookup bug

Christopher Lindsey lindsey@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 00:08:41 -0600 (CST)

> What version of Mailman are you using?  The policy is this: the user
> name part of the email address is case-preserving because RFC 822 says
> it must be.  However for the Web side of the world, email addresses
> are lower cased.  This means if I subscribe BWARSAW@python.org, email
> will always be delivered to BWARSAW@python.org, but my options will be
> at .../bwarsaw__at__python.org
>
> This has all been verified to work in Mailman 1.0b9.

I just tested it with a system upgraded from 1.0b8 to 1.0b9, and
it doesn't appear to have worked...  Here's what I did:

   o Create a file called /tmp/doit that contains the (fictitious) address
     MARShall351@mallorn.com

   o as user mailman, run '$prefix/bin/add_members -n /tmp/doit -w n test2'

   o Go to the Web page at

      http://www.mallorn.com/mailman/options/test2/marshall351@mallorn.com

     and email my password to myself

It comes back with a blank page that says "Your password entry has not
been found. The list administrator is being notified."  I also get
an email message back (well, I created a temporary alias that made
it non-fictitious for a while) that says:

   Mailman noticed in .MailUserPassword() that:

       User: 'marshall351@mallorn.com'
       List: test2

   lacks a password.  Please notify the Mailman system manager at this
   site!

If I try to access the options page with a case sensitive address,
such as

   http://www.mallorn.com/mailman/options/test2/MARShall351@mallorn.com

the script comes back and says

   test2: No such member 'MARShall351@mallorn.com'

So what the original poster was saying is that email addresses that
have uppercase characters in them are not assigned passwords (I've
tried it via the Web page and via the commandline script, with and
without notification).  Another odd thing that I've noticed is
that addresses with uppercase characters in them are always set
to MIME instead of plain...

I really think that the case changes should be thought over again.
Even though the local domain might not differentiate between upper
and lower case, what would happen if JOEbob@example.com and