[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Possible Fix for password lookup bug Possible Fix for password lookup bug

Edward S. Marshall emarshal@logic.net
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 09:45:59 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> The second one ought to be refused as already subscribed.

I humbly disagree.

> And the reason all this extra cruft was put in place was because there
> really are some domains that differentiate based on the case of the
> username part.

Which is explicitly allowed by RFC 822. Why should Mailman care about case
of the LHS at -all-? Why not leave it completely untouched? Or at least
have an option to leave it alone, and remain RFC-compliant.

(Yes, I'm picking nits here, but people tend to discard standards too
often these days. RFC 822 might be full of contradictions, but it's quite
clear about preserving the case of the LHS of the address.)

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]

   Linux labyrinth 2.2.2-pre2 #2 Sun Feb 14 15:24:09 CST 1999 i586 unknown
       9:40am up 16 days, 10:16, 3 users, load average: 0.16, 0.09, 0.03