[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users]Possible

Christopher Lindsey lindsey@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:51:34 -0600 (CST)

> > On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> > > The second one ought to be refused as already subscribed.
> >
> > I humbly disagree.
> >
> Hm, I'm not so sure about that.  Allowing users to subscribe different
> capitalizations of their address (and hence receive the mail multiple
> times) seems like it's asking for a lot of mixups with novice users.

Yeah, but you can't always protect users against themselves, especially
when doing so has the potential to prevent users from signing on to
a list altogether.  I have seen systems that had the multiple accounts
belonging to different people but could only be differentiated by case.
I admit that it's not the brightest thing to do, but sites do it
because it's allowed by RFC 822.  We can't just ignore the RFCs because
it's convenient -- that just seems to "Redmondian"...

Maybe the right thing to do is offer the administrator a choice
on a per list basis.

Chris