[Mailman-Developers] Configurability (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] Mailman 1.0b9)

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
04 Mar 1999 18:25:56 +0100

[Greg Stein]

> Harald Meland wrote:
> > For users it is always good to make _all_ the bells and whistles
> > configurable.  However, Mailman has to find a balance between user
> > configurability and how efficient list delivery should be.
>
> I strongly disagree with the blanket statement that it is "always good".

Sorry, I phrased that rather badly -- what I meant to propagate, was
that there's always _some_ user that wants more configurability.  If
Mailman should cater to any and all of these wishes, it would be a)
inefficient and b) (as you point out) a terrible mess.

Sorry about the confusion.

> You really should not keep dropping knobs onto Mailman.

... unless there is a real need for them, I presume?

> Look at the problem with the settings for "who can post to this
> list". LOTS of people have problems with getting that set up
> right. The problem? Too many knobs.

Well, the "too many knobs" issue of "who can post" is (at least in
part) caused by the "rather finegrained control" many list admins want
over who can post.

So, the problem is not merely to reduce the number of buttons, but to
do so while _keeping needed functionality_.

--
Harald