[Mailman-Developers] Does anyone else see these?

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 15:14:10 -0500

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 01:17:53 -0600 (CST), Christoper Lindsey wrote:

> Previously, paz@apriori.net wrote:

> > I've gotten two admin messages to mailman-owner from a mailman list
I run

t-eaton@mindspring.com
> to redscares@spamcom.net while preserving the original envelope
> address.  This is A Bad Thing because mail is being bounced back
> to mailman-owner@apriori.net instead of to the person who set up the
> forwarding.  This is one example why one usually shouldn't preserve
the
> envelope sender when forwarding mail.

Good call.

> > [...]

> Perhaps Mailman could add (yet another) header indicating the
> targetted recepient to help with this type of situation?  Maybe
> X-Mailman-Recepient?  Or it could be wrapped it into another header
> like X-BeenThere...

Unfortunately, this conflicts with the way mailman delivers stuff.  It
batches up posts to groups of people - typically five bunches.  This
means that deliveries aren't to any one individual recipient.  Using
these batches is bound to be quicker than making an individual send for
each person (particularly when the MTA implements smart batching to
sites, which mailman tries to support by grouping messages bound for the
same domain), so it's unlikely we'd want to defeat this feature for the
traceability - though there _are_ significant places where traceability
would be helpful...

Ken
klm@digicool.com