[Mailman-Developers] Features requested...

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 23:56:56 -0500 (EST)

    Me>    The problem here is that we don't actually keep that
    Me> information around in the database.  This is bogus, and is
    Me> something that I hope will get fixed when we have a real User
    Me> database (don't ask when ;)

    SH> What are the current plans for this?  I'd like to help.  I
    SH> should have some time over the coming holidays.

Well, there are a number of questions (if it was an easy hack it'd
already be done :).

First, do we want to use a real OODB underneath (such as ZODB), or do
we cook our own?  If we cook our own, do we modify Mailman to run as a
long-running process to make things efficient?  How do we handle
safely modifying the user database (e.g. a user adding email addresses
to their profiles)?  There are also UI issues for making all this
convenient for users.  Finally, a user database should be robust
enough to handle specifying various other roles.  IOW, users can also
be list admins, list moderators, and site admins.

Too sleepy to write more tonight.

-Barry