[Mailman-Developers] Features requested...

Rick Niess Rick.Niess@usm.edu
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:11:35 -0600 (CST)

Hi All,

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 05:28:55PM -0600, Rick Niess wrote:
> >4) On the membership management admin page, please setup a mechanism for
> >large lists to limit the display of user options to X number of users per
> >page.  It's a killer to try to admin large lists from slow machines with
> Hmm, it already does that.  When you select membership, it displays them
> in chunks of 10 or something.  I've upped mine to 30, and would actually
> prefer 100.

     I must have broken this somehow.  Checking into it...

> >5) Please setup a means by which a user can specify what additional
> >addresses he/she posts from other than their subscription address. (For
<snip>
> For you, it sounds like you may want to limit it to members only, but then
> allow posting from anyone who's e-mail address is "*@usm.edu" or
> "*@*.usm.edu"...  Not ideal, but it sounds like your environment doesn't
> really keep users from having a new address every week, and that's hard
> to predict.

     Ahh.  Very good points.  The latter isn't exactly feasable in a few
cases, but it's a start.

> >  - move the archives to http://host/mailman/archives/listname or provide
> >    a redirect from there to http://host/pipermail/listname.
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you do that in Apache with a slightly
> modified version of the lines you already have in there to get the
> "/mailman/" and "/pipermail/" URLs to work?

     I hadn't thought of that.  Yes, it should work.  I've added a third
"Alias" line to Apache's srm.conf:

Alias /icons/ /home/httpd/icons/
Alias /pipermail/ /home/mailman/archives/public/
Alias /mailman/archives/ /home/mailman/archives/public/

     I left the old one in in case the change broke something.  As a side
note, I'll say that I was more concerned with URL uniformity than the
actual location of the archiver and data.

> >     Lastly, I'd like to note that, while I understand most of what's
> >going on in the code, I don't have time ATM to sit down and really learn
> Yeah, that seems to be the common problem these days.  Too much demand,
> too few geeks.

     Perhaps, but that's also why some of us are paid well. ;-)

						~ Rick ~
--
.oooO "Man with closed Oooo.    Rick C. Niess
(   )   mouth gathers  (   )    University of Southern Miss.