[Mailman-Developers] Missed Bounce Message

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:09:21 -0500 (EST)

    claw> As there is no standard format for bounce messages, and even
    claw> if there were one we'd still be suffering with non-standard
    claw> ones due to the great many legacy MTAs as well as the many
    claw> sites with locally customised bounce messages, another
    claw> approach is needed.

Well, there is DSN, but you're essentially right since most MTA don't
seem to do DSN at all.  I think there's even some controversy over the
complexity of DSN bounce formats, so you're essentially left with a
plethora of formats that you have to parse.

    claw> The most commonly recommended solution is VERP.  The problem
    claw> with VERP is that it places a very high load on the local
    claw> MTA as well as any distribution management you may have set
    claw> up (eg domain routing).  The approach I took back when I was
    claw> writing my own mailing list server was a middle ground with
    claw> the intent of avoiding most of VERP's bandwidth concerns
    claw> while retaining many of its advantages:

For a while now I've been thinking that we could do this kind of
VERP-like custom messages for the password reminders.  Those we
already have to craft specially for each recipient, so why not include
an easily detected header, then catch those bounces and scan them?

-Barry