[Mailman-Developers] Plea for Help

bwarsaw@python.org bwarsaw@python.org
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:15:02 -0400 (EDT)

Folks,

As you know, earlier this year I became the primary maintainer for
JPython, which means that the time I have available to continue
hacking on Mailman has been pretty severely curtailed.  My role as
webmaster@python.org allowed me to work on it to the point where it
now supports all mailing lists on python.org, as well as the Usenet
gateways.  The current CVS snapshot works well for those purposes,
although as we're all aware, Mailman could use a lot of improvement.

I greatly appreciate everything you folks do to help each other, and
new users, out.  Just answering the emails goes a very long way toward
easing the burden.  I've come to rely on the fact that many of you
have a lot of experience with the code base, and are very generous
with your time.

I'm not the only one of the core maintainers who is extremely busy.  I
try to work on Mailman as often as I can, but I definitely realize how
far back I am lagging.  I just can't seem to catch up.  And I know the
other maintainers are in worse shape than me.  I've gotten to the
point where I only have time to track those issues that make it to the
bugs list, and that sucks.

I firmly believe that Mailman is good software that deserves better
than I can give it at the moment.  So I'm making a plea to you folks
to see if anybody has both the experience with Python, and the Mailman
source code, and is motivated to join the inner circle.  Please be
very honest about the time you have available to hack on the software;
we all understand what being busy is like.

If you think you are able, and would like to join the core maintainer
team please send me email.  Since Mailman is GNU software, you will
have to abide by the GNU guidelines, and assign copyright to your
future Mailman changes.  I can send you all the necessary GNU
information.  You should also have a knowledge of CVS and SSH, since
those are essential tools we use.

Thanks,
-Barry