[Mailman-Developers] multilingual mailman

Victoriano Giralt vic@vgg.sci.uma.es
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 19:58:22 +0200 (MEST)

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, Gerhard Gonter wrote:

> According to Sean Reifschneider:
> > On Sat, Sep 18, 1999 at 10:27:40AM +0200, Gerhard Gonter wrote:
> > >Are there any plans to for non-english user interfaces which can be
> > >selected individually by the user or at least for a whole list?
> >
> > What about an approach that would use an interface like this:
> >
> > 	setlang('German')
> > 	print translang['ERROR: You have selected an invalid option ("%s")']
> > 	print translang['       Please try again...']
> >
> > I imagine a shelve called "German" which has as the key the hash of the
> > string, and as the value the translated string.  [...]
> >
> A sophisticated approach like your example with some sort of automatic
> translation is certainly an insteresting goal.  Another much simpler
>
> The template directory would contain language specific subdirectories
>   ~mailman/templates/
>      En_US/
>      Fr_FR/
>      De_DE/

There is already an effort that has gone that way (using GNU gettext for
aidding in the translation). We have a working copy of mailman with
spanish, english and german interface, and, I think, somebody working on
japanesse and swedish. We have submited the patches to Barry Warsaw and he
said we would integrate them when he can ease the overload he is suffering
at the moment.

For the admin password and more info, please, contact Juan Carlos Rey
Anaya <jcrey@uma.es>. Joker is his workstation and he has done the dirty
coding work. I have been blessed with funding his time for the project and
playing boss :)

--
Victoriano Giralt
Systems Programmer