[Mailman-Developers] Plea for Help

J C Lawrence claw@varesearch.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 15:26:30 -0700

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 16:17:09 -0600
Sean Reifschneider <jafo@tummy.com> wrote:

> I do not fully understand how branches work.  While the core
> development team doesn't have a lot of time, that precious spare
> time may be better used to grok branches than to grok BitKeeper.

I have just over a dozen people using BK.  The average learning time
for them to get up to basic usability was under two hours, total.
Admittedly many of these people are professional software engineers
with history with Perforce, Clearcase, ptools, fcs/kcs, etc.  More
amusingly that history was more of a problem in their learning than
an assist.

BK is simple.  Very simple.  If you know RCS or SCCS, you can use BK
right now.  If you know CVS the learning curve is on the order of 20
minutes.

--
J C Lawrence                                   Home: claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                             Work: claw@varesearch.com