[Mailman-Developers] mailman vs majordomo

Christopher Lindsey lindsey@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:42:54 -0500 (CDT)

> 	two things: (a) is mailman better than majordomo?  I assume it must
> be right, or you wouldn't be putting all this effort into it.  I'm using
> majordomo now and I keep meaning to look for something that has better spam
> filters.  Forgive the stupid questions, but should I switch?

This is probably better on mailman-users...

Anyhow, I think mailman and majordomo each have their own place.  Majordomo
is much more flexible and, in my opinion, powerful.  The basic structure
is simplistic, but it's very easy to change things.  However, it is also
pretty admin-intensive and has a braindead digest scheme.

mailman takes administrative tasks away from the admin and puts them
in the hands of the listowner.  It saves time and is a lot easier to
configure.  Users also find the Web interface easier than an email one.
However, Adding features is a pain in the butt, especially if you're
not familiar with Python (i.e. I doubt that I'll ever see support for
quoted addresses containing spaces, since Mailman splits on whitespace).

So if you want to pass administrative tasks to the listowner and have a
pretty Web interface, use mailman.  If you need to do heavy-duty funky
stuff as an admin, use majordomo.

Don't get me wrong though -- I like mailman and find it very useful
when I want to offload list responsibility.  In fact, we're trying
to implement it here at NCSA for a majority of our less complicated
lists.

Chris