[Mailman-Developers] Mailman installation problems

Thomas Esamie Thomas.Esamie@uts.EDU.AU
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:52:07 +1000

Hi,

I'm attempting to install mailman 1.0 on a Mac OS X server and managed to
install Python (1.5.2) without too many problems and I ran the ./configure
script.

When I get to the the "make install" stage for mailman it starts chugging along merrily until we get to the following sequence

>for f in answer_majordomo_mail mailcmd mailowner post driver; \
>do \
>    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 $f /Local/Applications/mailman/scripts; \
>done
>cc -c -I. -DPREFIX="\"/Local/Applications/mailman\"" -DPYTHON="\"/usr/local/bin/python\"" -DHELPFUL -g -O2 -DHAVE_STRERROR=1 -DHAVE_SETREGID=1 -DHAVE_SYSLOG=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYSLOG_H=1 -DGETGROUPS_T=gid_t -DHAVE_VSNPRINTF=1   ./common.c
>./common.c:26: `PREFIX' undeclared here (not in a function)
>./common.c:26: `scripts' undeclared here (not in a function)
>./common.c:26: parse error before `;'
>make[1]: *** [common.o] Error 1
>make: *** [install] Error 2

Well I had a look at common.c and there are these lines which appear to cause
the problem

#define SCRIPTDIR PREFIX ## "/scripts/"    /* trailing slash */
#define MODULEDIR PREFIX                   /* no trailing slash */

const char* scriptdir = SCRIPTDIR;   [note this line is line 26]

PREFIX does not appear to be an environment variable and it is not explicitly set in common.h

I know this is kind of scratchy stuff but any clues on what to do from here?

Greetings,
Thomas

PS. I'm no guru so assume complete stupidity on my part in any explanation :-)