[Mailman-Developers] Mailman installation problems

Thomas Esamie Thomas.Esamie@uts.EDU.AU
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:52:07 +1000

I'm attempting to install mailman 1.0 on a Mac OS X server and managed to
install Python (1.5.2) without too many problems and I ran the ./configure

When I get to the the "make install" stage for mailman it starts chugging along merrily until we get to the following sequence

>for f in answer_majordomo_mail mailcmd mailowner post driver; \
>do \
>    /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 $f /Local/Applications/mailman/scripts; \
>cc -c -I. -DPREFIX="\"/Local/Applications/mailman\"" -DPYTHON="\"/usr/local/bin/python\"" -DHELPFUL -g -O2 -DHAVE_STRERROR=1 -DHAVE_SETREGID=1 -DHAVE_SYSLOG=1 -DSTDC_HEADERS=1 -DHAVE_SYSLOG_H=1 -DGETGROUPS_T=gid_t -DHAVE_VSNPRINTF=1   ./common.c
>./common.c:26: `PREFIX' undeclared here (not in a function)
>./common.c:26: `scripts' undeclared here (not in a function)
>./common.c:26: parse error before `;'
>make[1]: *** [common.o] Error 1
>make: *** [install] Error 2

Well I had a look at common.c and there are these lines which appear to cause
the problem

#define SCRIPTDIR PREFIX ## "/scripts/"    /* trailing slash */
#define MODULEDIR PREFIX                   /* no trailing slash */

const char* scriptdir = SCRIPTDIR;   [note this line is line 26]

PREFIX does not appear to be an environment variable and it is not explicitly set in common.h

I know this is kind of scratchy stuff but any clues on what to do from here?

PS. I'm no guru so assume complete stupidity on my part in any explanation :-)