[Mailman-Developers] Speaking of pathological behavior...

Dan Mick Dan Mick <Dan.Mick@west.sun.com>
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 17:14:07 -0700 (PDT)

> [Dan Mick]
>
> > 1) the archive links are remade, even though they exist (probably not a big
deal)
> > 2) config.db.tmp is written, and then .db becomes .last and .tmp becomes
.db.

> Thanks for reporting, I think the change I just checked into CVS
> should fix this (admin.py was calling MailList.SetUserOption() without
> the keyword argument "save_list=0", causing the list to be Save()d at
> least
>
>   admin_user_chunksize * len(("hide", "nomail", "ack", "notmetoo", "plain"))
>
> times(!) every time the list's Membership Management page was
> visited).

Yup...

> > Probably batching up all the "changes" into one config.db write is a
> > big big win.
>
> The bigger a admin_user_chunksize you're using, the bigger this win
> will be :)

The only other thought I had was that comparing the options
and only saving on a change might be *slightly* safer (crashes
inbetween users would save more info) but I don't know that it's
worth the extra code complexity.

Thanks for the checkin, Harald.  It's a big help for me, and now
I can stop bugging Barry about it. :)