[Mailman-Developers] Change to acceptable_aliases

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
14 Apr 2000 18:55:08 +0200

[Barry A. Warsaw]

> Except that I think `@'-less regexps still have useful semantics, so
> I don't want to prohibit them.  I just want the matching to
> (eventually) always be done against the entire recip address, not
> just the localpart.

Then wouldn't it make more sense to already now try matching the
regexp against the entire address, even if the regexp does not contain
any '@'?

Your change will cause the (not too far-fetched, IMO) regexp

  .*\.uio\.no$

to _only_ be matched against the localpart (and thus very likely _not_
produce a match) for now, although you're saying that you eventually
want it to match against the entire address (and that likely _will_
produce a match).

So, I still say:

 1) If the regexp does not contain an '@', first try matching it
    against the localpart (i.e. the way things work now).

 2) If 1) was skipped *or* if it didn't produce a match, try matching
    against entire recip address (i.e. try this even if the regexp
    does not contain any '@' signs).

Or am I misunderstanding something?
--
Harald