[Mailman-Developers] Change to acceptable_aliases

Christopher Lindsey lindsey@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:01:13 -0500 (CDT)

>   allow header_From matching @\S*\buio.no
>   deny has_header X-RBL-Warning
>   deny size > 1MB
>   hold size > 40k
>   allow header_From in members
>   hold *                                        # default
>
> Of course, a big concern is whether implementing such a beast will
> make "filtering configuration" of Mailman lists too strange (or even
> obfuscated) for most list admins.

Personally, I don't think this has a place in Mailman.  Why reinvent
the wheel?  You can easily wrap an alias with a procmail recipe
that natively supports this in a language designed to filter
mail.  It's the UNIX way: awk | sed | sort -rn, not piping everything
into sort and expecting it to do it all...  :)  The exception, of
course, is the wonderfully compact emacs suite.

Of course, a wrapper is much better suited to denying than allowing
message through -- to make it work, one would have to allow everything
in Mailman and expect the wrappers to handle it all.  However, you could
have the procmail/maildrop/script filter add an Approved: header if the
messsage is indeed valid, which Mailman would pick up on...

These aren't the best solutions, but I don't think that it's Mailman's
place to do this either.

Chris

P.S.  I still don't see how ACLs would replace regular expressions with
      substitution on a global scale, say to allow plus-style addressing.