[Mailman-Developers] A few mailman issues

Roy Smith roy.smith@med.nyu.edu
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:40:37 -0400

J C Lawrence <claw@cp.net> wrote:
> While I agree that Pipermail is feture poor and, umm, in general
> sucks, there is also a definite value to having an archiver, even
> such a poor one, be an implicit part of Mailman

I agree 100%.  We run a bunch of mailing lists here.  Time to invest in
managing those lists is extremely limited.  We used to use
majordomo/hypermail.  One of the best things in my mind about switching to
mailman is that now instead of administering two software packages, we can
adminster one.  Maybe pipermail isn't the best archiver in the world, but
it's sure good enough for our purposes (which are pretty simplistic, but
then again, I suspect most people who want to archive mailing lists have
equally simplistic needs).  To remove it from the mailman distribution
would be a big mistake.

Roy Smith <roy@popmail.med.nyu.edu>
New York University School of Medicine
550 First Avenue, New York, NY  10016