[Mailman-Developers] Database API

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:11:44 -0400 (EDT)

I am also interested in breaking up the way Mailman stores information
about lists and subscribers.  I'd like the database API to be a bit
more general, however.  There are a number of groups interested in
using LDAP to store subscriber names.  Some people are interested in
using Zope/ZODB, too, although I happen to think that mailing list
subscriber data is embarassingly rectangular.

I think the right approach is to write up a good architecture document
that describes what data Mailman needs to store and what APIs can be
used to plug in different storage technologies.  Let's get buy-in from
people interested in RDBMS, ZODB, and LDAP before we start writing
code.

Once a good architecture document is in place and Barry releases 2.0
final, we could probably convince him to allow major revisions to the
CVS repository without branching.

Jeremy