[Mailman-Developers] local TXT/HTML files

dojai@mail.ufv.br dojai@mail.ufv.br
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:56:51 -0300

Good Day to all,

 I'm new to mailman (a month) it's very interesting and I'm studing Python=
 now to be able to work better with the software.
 One thing that I have already done is made a soft link to all the=
 templates/*txt and *.html files in a directory that I called=
 local/SiteTemplates and for each list I made a local/<list_name> directory=
 with soft links to local/SiteTemplates.
 Doing this has enabled me to make a traduction of the most common txt=
 files. As time goes by people who use computers know less english, not even=
 some list administratators know english!

 I have not made all the traductions but now I can have local traductions=
 for all the message files and I'm able to have especific instructions for=
 each list.

Of course my gratest problem has been that I have to modify the python files=
 to point to ../local/<list_name>/<txt|html_file>

there's chicken/egg problem in bin/newlist (if there's no list how to point=
 to local/<list_name> is that I create the local/<list_name> and the soft=
 links if they don't exist so newlist will send=
 local/SiteTemplates/newlist.txt because the soft link created points there=
 and if I have already made a special newlist.txt for that list it must be=
 already there.

 Well, my suggestion is to implement something like this because the=
 necessaty to have local txt/html files is world-wide, and to implement a=
 local ~mailman/local directory that could be preserved (as mm_cfg.py)=
 between installations.

Thanks to all for your attention of forgive me for my limited english.

Eduardo J. Quir=F3s B. (dojai@mail.ufv.br)

"It's easier to ask for forgiveness
 than it is to get permission."
(Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper)