[Mailman-Developers] (no subject)

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:33:55 -0800

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:42:37 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

>> What's performance like?

> Seems okay, but I'm not really stressing it.

I'm currently going back and forth on usine an external queue
system.  Its a nice idea, and there are definite administrative and
control benefits, but its also moderately complex, is likely
unfamiliar to many/most SysAdms, adds a new level of fault
intolerance/dependency to distributed systems and exposes several
security concerns that aren't entirely attractive.

My current noodling is tending towards implementing a queue-like
system using light-weight self-discovering processes that could
easily be individually removed and their interconnects replaced by
calls to a real queueing system (whatever that may be) on an
ad-hoc/per-site basis.  The implementation complexity isn't that bad
(the documentation would be), but the number of interface
abstractions is kinda scary.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu
---------(*)                        : http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/