[Mailman-Developers] (no subject)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 14:52:00 -0800

At 2:33 PM -0800 12/14/00, J C Lawrence wrote:

>I'm currently going back and forth on usine an external queue
>system.  Its a nice idea, and there are definite administrative and
>control benefits, but its also moderately complex, [...]

you forgot compatibility and stability issues. Tie yourself to a
queue system, you only run on systems that queue system runs on, and
you're only as stable as that queue system is. So you end up adding a
lot of dependencies onto a piece of code you don't control that's
core to the program.

>My current noodling is tending towards implementing a queue-like
>system using light-weight self-discovering processes that could
>easily be individually removed and their interconnects replaced by
>calls to a real queueing system (whatever that may be) on an
>ad-hoc/per-site basis.

one thing I'm doodling with for my SMTP back end is starting up a
server that places a socket, the n starting up "N" SMTP processes as
clients that grab addresses from the server one at a time for
delivery. This gets me completely away fro this "slow DNS" stuff,
since any one slow address slows only itself, and since the system
I'm looking at is 100% verped/customized (ala Lyris's footers, at the
minimum), I'm not worrying about the added overhead (you could
potentially do batches through an interface). using sockets means the
clients can go off-machine for free, as long as they know where to
look.

now, maybe it could be something like that, a controlling process
that uses both threads and forks (and perhaps remote commands through
rsh or ssh) to spawn instances as needed...

We're visiting the relatives. Cover us.