[Mailman-Developers] Re: Slow Performance on semi-large lists

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:20:45 -0500

    CVR> what that means for Mailman is you can't tweak the
    CVR> sendmail.cf, and therefore can't use DELIVERY_MODULE =
    CVR> SMTPDirect. You'd have to instead use the Sendmail
    CVR> DELIVERY_MODULE (which I haven't tested, and which doesn't
    CVR> (sigh) use MAX_RCPTS. And you could add the -odd to
    CVR> SENDMAIL_CMD in the mm_cfg file to get this. But it changes
    CVR> other stuff, so...

Two things to note.  First, if people want to get serious about
Sendmail.py, someone please fix it not to go through the shell
(i.e. don't use os.popen()).  It's not hard to fix, just tedious and I
don't want to spend the time on it.  I'll take contributions of
course.  Be aware that in 2.1 DELIVERY_MODULE will probably not be
part of the mainline message pipeline.

Second, someone posted patches to Python's smtplib.py so that the same
interface can be used to "sendmail -bs" (i.e. sendmail run from the
command line with SMTP commands on standard input).  I don't remember
who or where that was posted, but it's worth searching for and
proofreading.  Or if the original author is reading this, resend me
the url and I'll see about getting it into Python 2.1.

Does sendmail do the same synchronous DNS lookups when used in -bs
mode?

giggle-ly y'rs,
-Barry