[Mailman-Developers] Users, Bounces, and Virtual Domains (was (no subject))

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:27:17 -0800

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:10:13 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> At 6:27 PM -0800 12/14/00, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> Heck, remove the entire concept of mailing lists entirely and
>> make the very existance of a list and its configs and membership
>> dynamic:
>>
>> You send a message to <something>@lists.domain, Mailman receives
>> it, does an LDP query for every user with a <something> attribute
>> on their record, and broadcasts the message to that generated
>> list of addresses.

> you just defined the server I'm looking at rewriting, probably
> next summer. We did a preliminary of that a couple of months
> ago. it gets -- well, very interesting.

Care to comment?

>> Virtual hosts are a hack, and an ugly hack at that.  I don't see
>> that they are worth wasting time on when multiple installation
>> appeases the privacy concerns.

> they're a necessary hack, too. We can't blow them off
> trivially. *I* need them for various things.

They are needed now, yes, this I don't argue.  Post IPv6 I don't see
much use for them any more and I expect their use to almost vanish.
Heck, more simply, once application-centric VLANS (ala IPSec for
instance) become common (which is already happening but is really
pending IPv6 to get the address space) the whole problem is going to
get messy on a far different score (multiple addressing and
side-scale use of non-routable network blocks without accepted
authentication).

<<If you think the current BGP table size is a problem...>>

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw@kanga.nu