[Mailman-Developers] race condition in locking ?

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 16:43:18 +0100

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 01:15:07AM +0100, Ricardo Kustner wrote:

> > > well i patched my copy of MM with the diff Thomas had just posted, and
> > > then i tried to approve about 16 posts and I still got another assertion error :(

> It always happens on line 60 in Mailman/ListAdmin.py ...
> assert self.Locked() and self.__filename

Can you post (or mail directly to me) the exact error message, with
traceback, and what you do exactly to get that error ? I tried reproducing
it here, by posting 100-some messages to a closed list, and then approving
them all in one go, using the admin page, but everything went fine. It might
require more of a local load to recreate, though, or maybe you're doing
something subtly different.

> from what i understand from python (haven't finnished O'reillys "Learning
> Python" yet :)), this is a debug statement and it bails out if
> !self.Locked == true ...

Yes, assert is a debug statement, but both 'self.Locked()' and
'self.__filename' get tested. One of those two ends up false. You can try to
split it up in two asserts:

assert self.Locked()
assert self.__filename

just to see which part is failing.